We are seeking a full-time Controller. Top candidates will have leadership skills, proven ability to work under time constraints to meet deadlines, strong interpersonal skills, personal integrity, and demonstrable commitment. A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, including staff management, is required. Responsible for oversight of all Finance for the company, including management of day-to-day financials and monthly reporting, along with special projects and managerial responsibilities.
Innovative. Forward Thinking. Passionate. That defines The Warren Group and the people who work here. The Warren Group is a company enriched in history – its roots trace back to 1872. Over the past 150 years, the family-owned business has built a powerhouse database, made possible by our creative and diligent staff. Recognized as New England’s most trusted source for real estate and financial industry news and information. The Warren Group publishes Banker & Tradesman, The Commercial Record, and our Data Solutions division provides mission-critical market data and statistics to lenders, regulators, researchers, and real estate professionals throughout New England and beyond.
An equal opportunity employer, we offer a competitive salary and suite of benefits and support a friendly, casual workplace, free of harassment. This position offers the option of partial telecommuting from our Peabody, MA corporate offices.
Essential Responsibilities (not limited to):
Summary: The Controller directs and coordinates activities of Finance including responsibility for management of the day-to-day financials and oversight of monthly reporting, along with special projects and managerial responsibilities as needed. Responsible for directing and managing the following functions: Accounting, Finance, Multistate Tax, Billing, Payroll, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Collections, and (potentially) Multistate H.R.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Participates in formulating and administering company policies and developing long-range goals and objectives;
- Directs and manages all Accounting operations for the company;
- Directs and coordinates activities of Finance for which responsibilities are delegated to further attainment of goals and objectives;
- Manages finance team and AR, AP, and payroll processing, including multi-state taxes;
- Responsible for implementing business performed in new states;
- Oversees monthly invoicing and collection efforts a rapidly growing account base;
- Reviews analyses of activities, costs, operations, and forecast data to determine department or division progress toward stated goals and objectives;
- Confers with CEO and other administrative personnel to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals and objectives resulting from current status and conditions;
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to financial management, budget, accounting, and payroll;
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of various financial statements and reports;
- Prepares and posts monthly adjusting journal entries;
- Performs monthly close process to include Financial Statements;
- Maintains bank accounts and perform monthly cash and credit card reconciliations;
- Directs the installation and maintenance of accounting records to show receipts and Expenditures;
- Directs the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, accounts receivable, revenue distribution, depreciation, cost, property, operating expenses, and insurance records;
- Directs and participates in cost analyses and rate studies;
- Prepares statements and reports of estimated future costs and revenues;
- Directs internal audits involving review of accounting and administrative controls;
- Establishes system controls for new financial systems and develops procedures to improve existing systems;
- Coordinates preparation of external audit materials and external financial reporting;
- Reviews financial statements with management personnel;
- Directs or collaborates with staff on the installation and maintenance of new accounting, timekeeping, payroll, inventory, property, and other related procedures and controls;
- Responsible for acquiring and administering insurance for cyber & crime, directors & officers, multi-media, general liability, multi-state workers comp;
- Supports BOD-level initiatives;
- Requires full-time work performed during the company’s days and hours of operation;
- Other duties may be assigned as required.
The Controller directly manages a staff of three employees; two full-time, and one part-time. The position is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of all units under Finance. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. A high level of leadership skills, along with the ability to plan and facilitate departmental goals is required.
- At minimum a BA/BS in Accounting or Finance, a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, including managerial;
- Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Office and have advanced Excel & QuickBooks (Enterprise) skills. Must be comfortable with industry-related and internal proprietary software e.g., Bill.com, Tallie, and Transaction Pro;
- Excellent time management and leadership skills, with the ability to work under time constraints and meet deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to maintain confidentiality, personal integrity, and commitment are essential;
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, and presentation development); ability to read, comprehend and author business correspondence, E-mail, and memos as well as speak English clearly to all levels of the organization as well as to outside business contacts;
- Ability to manage and motivate direct reports and indirect contributors under tight deadlines;
- Ability to manage the execution of programs and come in on time and on budget;
- Ability to manage complex projects with tight deadlines that cut across different parts of the organization;
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills and good problem solver and consensus-builder. Must use data to draw conclusions and then influence teams to follow recommendations;
- Must be a strong team player;
- Mature, highly motivated professional with the ability to work with a diverse group of internal and external partners;
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills;
- Must be detail-oriented;
- Must be proactive, assertive, and resourceful and must perform work duties with a sense of urgency and focus;
- Previous experience with multi-state Human Resource functions and labor laws is a plus.
Qualifications: To perform this full-time job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and demonstrate proficiency in all competencies. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work Schedule: This is a remote/hybrid full-time, 5-days-per-week position. Requires work to be performed Monday through Friday during company operating hours of 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
Work Environment: We nourish a team environment, where ideas and willingness to “go the extra mile” are recognized. The Warren Group is an equal opportunity employer that supports a friendly, casual workspace, free of harassment. We are located in Peabody, MA.
Apply with resume and cover letter directly to: David B. Lovins, CEO at email@example.com